[lit-ideas] Re: Willie Pete's Role Reversal

  • From: Eternitytime1@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2005 15:21:12 EST

In a message dated 11/13/2005 2:05:42 P.M. Central Standard Time,
aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

We're  trying to win a war militarily that the military has said cannot be
won  militarily.

HI,
But here I would disagree with you.

I do not think that this war was ever done the way the military would have
done it. I think it was done the way civilian analysts (neo-cons but probably
others, too--those into the whole technology movement...) thought it could be
done. Quite possibly, those in the military industrial complex (who should
have  known better?) were also involved...but who knows.

No--this war could still be done differently and have an outcome which  would
be positive for the Iraqis. If we choose not to do that, then I do think  we
need to leave. But, either way would necessitate the neo-con crowd  saying 'we
were wrong' --and I think they will have an easier time whining about  how
the anti-war crowd destroyed the American Spirit (or some such rhetoric)  than
by agreeing with the military guys who were appalled at how/why the  decisions
have been made...(which is easier to lose face with...You ego-guys  might be
able to project yourselves into their brains to see which would be the  easiest
face-saving way out...)

Balancing again,
Marlena in Missouri