[lit-ideas] Re: Willie Pete's Role Reversal

  • From: Judy Evans <judithevans1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2005 15:07:41 +0000

Friday, November 11, 2005, 1:57:52 PM, Eric Yost wrote:

EY> That sums it up. As I wrote to Judy a couple days ago, the worst
EY> mistakes of the US troops resemble the day-to-day strategy of the
EY> insurgency.

It took me a while to find the post you mean.  I didn't answer that
part of it because of the context - see below -- I will now

EY>Judy: what happened to "we're better than the terrorists"?

EY>Eric: We are.

EY>Judy: which is why "we" rant on about their disgracefully doing
>what "we" do?

EY>Eric: Judy, c'mon, if we were like them, the war would be over.

EY>When, for instance, do we deliberately strike at random
>civilians? If we did, all the civilians would be dead. All the
>mosques would be ash. All the schools would be dust. Every
>hospital would be a crater.

>What you mean to say, perhaps, is that our worst mistakes
>resemble their intentional day-to-day strategy.

as my posts have shown (/as they have attempted to show),
I'm attacking the "we're better/they're worse" defence in that "we"
are supposed to be better than they are, and not just marginally
better.  My previous posts have explained/tried to explain this point,
I now give up (again).

--
Judy Evans, Cardiff, UK

                           mailto:judithevans1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx