[lit-ideas] Re: Willie Pete's Role Reversal

  • From: Eric Yost <mr.eric.yost@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2005 10:38:40 -0500

Judy: as my posts have shown (/as they have attempted to show),
I'm attacking the "we're better/they're worse" defence in that "we" are supposed to be better than they are, and not just marginally better. My previous posts have explained/tried to explain this point, I now give up (again).

Eric: And I have argued that we ARE better in that we deliberately avoid inflicting civilian casualties and they deliberately try to inflict civilian casualties. That doesn't strike me as a marginal difference, but as an essential difference.

You seem hung up on the notion of defense. Because you see this as a defense, and because we have not clearly defined "we" and "they," there is a lot of talking past each other.

To me, "we" was meant to describe the practices and activities of the Marines in the Falujah battle. "They" was meant to describe the activities of the terrorists. To me, this is not a defense of the Bush administration, or of the decision to go to war.