[lit-ideas] Re: Willie Pete's Role Reversal

  • From: Eric Yost <mr.eric.yost@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2005 12:55:50 -0500

Andy: Proof for this site or not, war and blood and gore go
together.

Eric: I have seen worse things in medical textbooks. There are
far worse things in photos of car accidents by the way, and I
don't think that has moved many people on the list to give up
driving cars. (I have been car-free for over 15 years and am
proud of it.)

Question for Eric: how long do you think is long enough for us
to get pounded before we either nuke em or get out?

Eric: The point is to stand up the Iraqi civil government and get
out quickly. You are right to say that our presence in Iraq only
encourages the Islamists. But it would provide even more
encouragement if we were to cut and run.

I'm sure almost everyone on the list now believes the war is a
mistake. The question is how best to disengage from it. Democrats
 have a lot of disagreement over the issue.

Vilifying the troops IMHO is definitely NOT the way, and seems to
reflect a bizarre sort of schadenfreude/S&M ... which was the
genesis of this thread.