[lit-ideas] Re: The de-islamization of Europe

  • From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2007 10:05:41 -0600

LH:
Insofar as your Biblical Analysis is concerned, you seem to take a Literalist or Fundamentalist approach in order to be dismissive of Christianity.

Dismissive of Christianity? Au contraire, mon vieux. I'm dismissive of "Christianity". Surely with all your study you know the difference.

To understand what is being taught by Jesus, you need to understand the customs and history - or have someone explain it to you.<<

Exactly, which is what I keep telling you about Islam. You have not begun to understand it.

This is not a pacifistic teaching.<<

Oh. And I suppose Jesus was drinking grape juice, too. And just kidding about loving your enemies and doing good to those who persecute you, just being metaphoric when he said who lives by the sword, dies by the sword.

... but you reject the Church because you don't see perfect members. <<

Wrongo, Jocko. I reject the Church because I don't believe there's a God. Not as any paradigm I've encountered at least.

My message in the last post was simply that I don't think you understand Christianity at all. I'm sure you think you do, just as you think you understand Islam. But I don't think you have a clue. "Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbour as yourself.' All the law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments." [Mathew 22:37-40]. ALL THE LAW AND THE PROPHETS HANG ON THESE TWO COMMANDMENTS. That's Christianity, lock, stock and barrel. That should not be so hard for you to understand. Your God told you so in no uncertain words. But I've never seen any of that reflected in your constant call to arms. I'm sure you disagree with me and think Christianity is all about redemption and not some literalist love stuff. Ah, yes, redemption. Such scared little boys. How they chatter on.

Mike Geary
Memphis