[lit-ideas] Re: The de-islamization of Europe

  • From: "Simon Ward" <sedward@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2007 12:26:43 -0000

I'd say Lawrence is looking at the wrong reasons. The Balkans (notice the
plural) were previously organised as Yugoslavia, despite there being a number
of historically seperate states. Iraq, after the first world war, was created
from three different tribal units. It's not that they're Islamic so much that
both were artifically created and controlled generally with dictatorial powers
that kept the underlying tensions bottled up.

Simon

  From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

  > "Over the course of the nineteenth century, one

  > Christian people after another in southeastern Europe threw off the shackles

  > of Ottoman rule without then being absorbed by a Great Power.

  Back up a few hundred years and ask the same question. After the Roman
empire, Europe went

  into decline from 600 AD to 1400 AD. In the same period, Arab world went
through a long

  period of significant achievements in the sciences, medicine, astronomy, and
mathematics.

  They were also important in philosophy, literature, and architecture.

  Lawrence probably thinks I'm being unamerican for not praising the medieval
Saxons.

  My point is that civilizations rise and fall. The Arab world did very well
for a while, and

  the modern Western world has been doing well for a while.

  However, one won't know this from Lawrence's posting, in which he decries the
Islamo

  military occupation of Europe that was finally thrown off with the collapse
of the Ottoman

  empire in the early 1900s.

  By the way, Spain threw out the Muslims in 1492. 500 years ago. The Europeans
waited another

  400 years. Slackers.

  yrs,

  andreas