[lit-ideas] Re: The de-islamization of Europe

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2007 22:20:58 -0800

My point had to do with current events.  We see the effects of European
nations that have been under Islamic rule.  We look at the Balkans and think
they are the most backward part of Europe.  Why, we ask?  They were under
Islamic rule for 500 years and share some of the characteristics of a modern
Islamic state, Andre Gerolymatos tells us in The Balkan Wars.  Why, that's
very interesting, think I.  I'll pass that along to my friends on Lit-Ideas.
Perhaps they will find that as interesting as I do.

And if, think I further, the Balkans with the benefit of being out from
under Ottoman rule for more than 100 years have difficulty behaving like
civilized Europeans, what chance does Turkey have (who used to be the
Ottoman Empire)?  And what chance does Iraq have of achieving even limited
Democracy?  No doubt there are some Iraqi intellectuals who know these
matters very well, but it seems an insurmountable task in this modern world
as it seems always to have been to educate a society to such a degree that
it will make the wisest decisions.  It would be wise, we think, for Iraq to
become a viable democracy.  Malaki seems to think so too, but the less
insightful Arab in the street just wants us out of there - as does the less
insightful American in some of our streets over here.

Lawrence

From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

> "Over the course of the nineteenth century, one

> Christian people after another in southeastern Europe threw off the
shackles

> of Ottoman rule without then being absorbed by a Great Power.

Back up a few hundred years and ask the same question. After the Roman
empire, Europe went

into decline from 600 AD to 1400 AD. In the same period, Arab world went
through a long

period of significant achievements in the sciences, medicine, astronomy, and
mathematics.

They were also important in philosophy, literature, and architecture.

Lawrence probably thinks I'm being unamerican for not praising the medieval
Saxons.

My point is that civilizations rise and fall. The Arab world did very well
for a while, and

the modern Western world has been doing well for a while.

However, one won't know this from Lawrence's posting, in which he decries
the Islamo

military occupation of Europe that was finally thrown off with the collapse
of the Ottoman

empire in the early 1900s.

By the way, Spain threw out the Muslims in 1492. 500 years ago. The
Europeans waited another

400 years. Slackers.

yrs,

andreas