[lit-ideas] Re: The de-islamization of Europe

  • From: "John McCreery" <john.mccreery@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2007 08:19:15 +0900

On 1/21/07, Phil Enns <phil.enns@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

At least one, and perhaps the most important one.  It is also one that such
diverse modern non-religious thinkers as Jurgen Habermas and Derrida
acknowledge is necessary but missing.  Further, it is missing because it
must be missing.  What liberal democracy could not and cannot borrow from
Christianity is the benevolence of hope.

Phil,

Please explain this astonishing statement. What else is liberal
democracy than the triumph of hope that the world can be a better
place? For God's sake, man, when we elected Bill Clinton President, we
elected "the man from Hope." When Kerry lost, his slogan was "Hope is
on the way." It is commonplace for us Democrats to define ourselves as
the party of hope.

You can, of course, be using "Hope" in some technical manner, e.g.,
the hope of salvation in a theological sense, in which case I suppose
that many of us here are, indeed, hopeless.

Pray, what do you mean?

John

--
John McCreery