[lit-ideas] Re: Illegal Immigration

  • From: Eternitytime1@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 00:39:37 EDT

In a message dated 9/13/2005 11:18:08 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

But it  would probably require new laws drafting every able bodied citizen to
 report to the fields for the havesting of fruits and vegetables -- like  in
Cuba -- except, I think, they do it voluntarily there because they love  Cuba
-- try to get an American to report to the fields to pick okra without a
bayonet at his back -- ha

Hi,
Nice article, Andy.

We let illegal immigrants in because it keeps wages low, indeed!  In  fact,
every time we need more workers, we already allow 'guest workers' in...and
that keeps wages depressed again.

If we didn't have enough workers, the wages for picking the fruits and
vegetables would not be so low. And, at least here, there would be plenty who
would enjoy working in the countryside (and even in the summers...a bit like
when, in the early 1900s there were high school boys who would go 'threshing'
and
follow along with the hay crop (I am reading a book right now that is
touching on that...)  It happened even in the area when I was growing  up--and
you
could make decent money...even for the season.  (I know two  women, both have
been looking for jobs that would, at least, pay about $10 an  hour. They both
have been looking in our area for almost a year. They both  loving working in
the garden and yard--if they could work in fields and pick  stuff, they would
probably love it. [esp the one if it was the 'natural' stuff  as she is 'into'
that sort of thing. She might have a harder time with the ones  who use lots
of pesticides, etc.].

Besides, Mike, we're only given guns when we are not going to use them. Did
you hear the NRA upset with the National Guard, police and military taking
people's guns away from them in Louisiana--esp NO?  Don't they have a  *right*
to carry arms?  I wondered where that lobby was...

Wondering what sort of world it would look like if we didn't have illegal
immigration,
Marlena in Missouri