[lit-ideas] Re: Illegal Immigration

  • From: Eric Yost <mr.eric.yost@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 15:56:04 -0400

Mike to Andy: And your solution is to keep anyone south of the border out. Then everything will be fine. I don't think so. Let's try raising the minimum wage and taxing the wealthy before attacking the poor.

Eric: The solution is not only to see that immigrants are here legally and adequately tax the wealthy, but also to see legislation that:

(1) eliminates offshore corporate headquarters,
(2) removes spurious tax shelters, and
(3) prevents corporate flight to other countries in response to these measures.

Requirement 3 is especially important, since the main justification for giving the rich and corporations a free ride is to prevent them from relocating to Albania or Zanzibar.

That's the great evil of globalism...Yahoo! can fly the US flag outside their corporate headquarters, but act as a snitch and proxy for the Chinese totalitarian spy machine because they need the business and have no national allegiance.

It's like that other great paradox of our time: asking citizens to fight and die for their country in Iraq but not mind the outsourcing of their jobs to India. When they need you to risk your life, you're an American; when they take your job away, you're a member of the global economy. Worst of both worlds.