[lit-ideas] Re: Illegal Immigration

  • From: Eric Yost <mr.eric.yost@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 00:45:08 -0400

>>But it would probably require new laws drafting every able bodied citizen to report to the fields for the havesting of fruits and vegetables -- like in Cuba -- except, I think, they do it voluntarily there because they love Cuba

Surely you jest. The main reason we can't get Americans to pick okra without a bayonet is that Castro used all the agricultural bayonets in his great failed sugar cane drive. The lesser reason we can't get Americans to pick okra without a bayonet is that the other bayonets are all in Iraq.

Check out H.G. Wells' _A Modern Utopia_. Besides predicting the shopping mall, he envisioned the creation of a work army to do things like bring crops to harvest and repair disaster-ravaged areas. Serve in the work army for several years and you get guaranteed housing, food, education, and medical care for life. Great idea.

When oil starts to run out in the next ten years, we may see a return to this kind of laboring. Wonder what all the illegals will do then? And what will we do with shopping malls when people can't afford to drive to them? At least in Wells' original vision, the malls were much closer to towns...