[lit-ideas] Re: Grade inflation

  • From: "Judith Evans" <judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 9 Apr 2004 16:08:53 +0100

Oxford's doing this too.

I doubt I have any insights into grade inflation you don't have.  But I
didn't get hassle from admin. or parents, our system just doesn't work that
way.  If it comes to that I didn't get much hassle from students except in
the last 2-3 years I taught, when they started to get nasty re my deducting
marks in accordance with the schema they'd been given at the beginning, a
departmental one, when -- they told me - other teachers did not.

we don't examine/grade alone, here, so the pressure that can be brought to
bear on us by students is less.  (The External Examiner is a useful person
to invoke!) But still grade inflation occurs; I moved from being as
autonmous as possible in our system at London to often giving in at York.

You remember the young woman Oxford turned down for medicine who got a
scholarship to Harvard instead? *Grade inflation*. Oxford and a few other
universities are now bringing in their own exams to test potential and
almost certainly the school-leaving exams here will be altered so there's a
kind of A plus tier.

any other info I can give, I will!

Judy Evans
jaye@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx