[lit-ideas] Re: The 'Near-Eastern' influences on the Greek philosophy, sc...

  • From: Scribe1865@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 9 Apr 2004 11:42:29 EDT

In a message dated 4/9/2004 10:32:39 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
omarkusto@xxxxxxxxx writes:
If this analysis is accurate, one may wonder whether
the transformation of "mythical thought" into
"philosophical thought" was such a blessing.

Thanks to Omar for showing the influence of ancient near Eastern cultures in
Greek writing, architecture, and mathematics; although I think we can still
contest whether the turn to philosophy is influenced by the near eastern
cultures or was the result of something new--independent thought stimulated by
trade,
travel, and removal from centers of authority.

Plus Omar hasn't even contested that the Greek political system was an
original development, something pointing away from authority-based divine
intermediary systems, whether Sennacherib's or Hitler's.

My argument has been that the ancient Near Eastern influence on the modern
world has been to load us with mythic thought, which I previously called
"sunstroke religion," hobbling us at a time when our technical capacity makes
it all
the more important to get our collective act together.

One objection is that my view is itself mythic, what Omar called "the
American superman" view. (Considering the amount of religious propaganda
circulated
in the US, I doubt calling it "American" is very apt.) Yet even if so, there
are much more dangerous myths in play throughout the world, myths that inspire
more fanaticism and violence than an overreliance on rational solutions.

Eric

PS: