[lit-ideas] Re: Grade inflation

  • From: John McCreery <mccreery@xxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2004 12:09:19 +0900

On 2004/04/12, at 19:51, Robert Paul wrote:

> I doubt that they are all that innocent these days about bosses and
> the police,
> but shouldn't they also be allowed to learn what it would be like to
> experience
> a world from which the 'arbitrariness' had been wrung out as much as
> possible?

Another highly desirable goal. Perhaps "arbitrary" is the wrong word. I
don't mean to imply that judgments are random; rather, that learning
early and often that superiors may use criteria that are different from
one's own and apply them in ways that may seem unexpected or even
unfair is better preparation for today's world than the frame of mind
cultivated by textbooks and multiple choice exams in which "getting it
right" is simply a matter of getting a high enough grade on
standardized tests to proceed to the next level of the game.

I do, in fact, greatly admire the Reed system, which I know about
because my wife and partner is a Reed graduate. But Reed is, after all,
a place for a very small number of very smart students who have not yet
succumbed to the kind of schooling mentioned above.

John L. McCreery
The Word Works, Ltd.
55-13-202 Miyagaya, Nishi-ku
Yokohama, Japan 220-0006