[lit-ideas] Re: Grade inflation

  • From: "Steven G. Cameron" <stevecam@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2004 07:56:48 -0400

**To help monitor plagiarism, often time is spent viewing copies of
previous students' papers in my files.  Rereading my comments in the
margins, as well as the final ones to them accompanying the grades at
the bottom, it occurred to me that my perspective is frequently
different than my original impression.  Since this is so, isn't grading
an incredibly subjective art -- undoubtedly many of the grades assigned
by me would not be the same if evaluated by another professor (or even
me on different days).  What, therefore, is the value, of the grading
procedure??

TC,

/steve Cameron, NJ