[lit-ideas] Re: Grade inflation

  • From: "Michael Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2004 23:46:17 -0500

Is it possible to be truly arbitrary, I wonder.  "Even debris has it's
favorite positions", as Merwin says.  Surely arbitrariness is nothing more
than undeciphered calculus or unrecognized prejudices.  Both calculus and
prejudice have standards.  Does the weight of ink on a paper determine
whether it falls on the 'A' stair rather than the 'B' stair when thrown?  If
so, it's not arbitrariness.  Does an arrogant little know-it-all get an 'F'
just because he reminds the professor of all the ass she had to kiss to get
her degree?  If so, it's not arbitrariness.  There is cause and purpose.  It
all comes out in the wash, as they (proverbially) say.  Here we have the
workings of poetic justice, the inexorable process of ineluctable laws
playing themselves out in undecipherable events, subconscious behaviors.
Only God can be arbitrary.

Utah Pius
Florida State Correctional Institution