[lit-ideas] Re: Grade inflation

  • From: Robert.Paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Robert Paul)
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: 12 Apr 2004 19:57:07 PDT

'If I were to grade a 'subjective' subject [i.e. non-scientific] 's group of
assignments, I think I would still take a scientific approach. Sure, it
would take a little longer, but instead of marking the papers as I went, I
would make notes on each one and not mark a single one upon first reading.
Then I would pick the best one and give it an appropriate grade and mark
all the others according to what the best one got.'

I'm not sure about the identification of 'non-scientific' with 'subjective.' But
for the rest, well, this sounds like one sensible way of going at it. (You're
not required to mark in indelible ink, either.)

Robert Paul
Erewhon