[lit-ideas] Re: Grade inflation

  • From: "Torgeir Fjeld" <torgfje2@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2004 18:43:53 +0100

Well, you may do that, but please remain cognizant of the fact that there _are_
other evaluative approaches than the simple quantitative-
ranking procedure at our educational institutions. Montessori schools, for
example, give qualitative feedback to each student at the end of
term. (I don't know if that's a universal approach at all Montessori schools,
but it is in Norway.) It's really the same practice with
letters of recommendation, isn't it? Qualitative evaluation is probably the
most simplified and stupid form of feedback it is possible to
imagine, at yet it's close to universal by now in mainstream education. We
treat students like pieces of machinery, and we expect them not
to act as robots. I don't get it.

Always confused,

-tor

On 12 Apr 2004 at 21:12, John McCreery wrote:

> On 2004/04/12, at 20:56, Steven G. Cameron wrote:
>
> > What, therefore, is the value, of the grading
> > procedure??
> >

> To, as I tell my business students, to accustom them to a fact of life,
> that they and their work will be evaluated by people with different
> perspectives and values. Bosses and clients may try to be fair, rules
> may constrain their judgments, but at the end of the day it comes down
> to their judgments. It is wise, therefore, to be meticulous and to
> perform as credibly as possible.
>

> John L. McCreery
> The Word Works, Ltd.
> 55-13-202 Miyagaya, Nishi-ku