[lit-ideas] Re: Grade inflation

  • From: John McCreery <mccreery@xxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2004 12:01:59 +0900

On 2004/04/12, at 19:33, Robert Paul wrote:

> Does this mean that my assessments will be 'more honest,
> meticulous, or caring'? Not unless something more is factored in.

I agree. That is why I usually add several comments on what I am
looking for. Basically there are five criteria:

1) Accuracy--Get the facts and definitions right
2) Sound judgment--Distinguish major from minor points
3) Effective use of detail--Demonstrate real understanding
4) Unexpected insight--Surprise and delight me
5) Serious risk-taking--Come up with something new and compelling

I hammer away at these points and repeat them periodically as the
semester continues. Why? Because experience teaches me that too many
students simply don't listen the first time around and even those who
do have been schooled to regard accuracy ("Did I say something wrong?")
as the end-all and be-all of the grading process.

When it comes to the practical matter of assessing student projects I
do pretty much what Paul Stone does, read through them all, establish a
tentative ranking, then go through a second time carefully, looking for
the gaps (usually quite clear) between the As, the Bs, and the Cs and
looking for evidence to sway me one way or the other when a project
falls between two grades.

Cheers,

John L. McCreery
The Word Works, Ltd.