[lit-ideas] Re: Faith

  • From: "Andy Amago" <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 22:11:07 -0400

propositions
> >and (3)
> >arguments.  I do not agree with your definition of faith so when we
> >are using the word we are using a term in two different ways and it
> >is muddying the rest of the dialogue.  You are defining faith in a
> >type of Freudian wish fulfillment role and I'm not so unless we can
> >agree on a definition we are at an impasse right out of the gate.
>
> Maybe ours are closer than you think and I just can't seem to elucidate
it.

> What's YOUR definition?
>
> Like I said, it's been a few hours, and NO ONE has offered up an
> alternative to what they think I mean.
>
> By "faith" (in the religious sense mainly) I mean, a state in which
someone
> holds beliefs and follows those beliefs. He/she insists on these beliefs
> even in the face of a complete lack of evidence other than an argument
from
> authority. The paucity of said evidence does NOTHING to dissuade the
person
> from keeping this faith. This faith is almost exclusively a
herd-mentality
> type.

A.A. This is definition works for me.  Believing in something and denying
all evidence or lack of evidence to the contrary, based on authority,
usually charismatic authority, seems to cover all the bases.  I would say
that Brian's mentioning wish fulfillment fits in here too, since we all
wish for unconditional acceptance and love by our father.   Not too many
fathers stepping up to the plate to love us, so we'll sit on God's lap, or
have him hold us in this hand or by the hand or whatever it is we need.
Didn't Freud say words exactly to this effect?

Andy Amago