[lit-ideas] Re: Faith

  • From: JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 15:43:18 EDT

<<His
leap was robustly critiqued by Francis Schaeffer  but many Christians,  >>

My God, I haven't seen that  name in ......decades.  I'd actually forgotten
he existed.  Major  flashback time.

Julie Krueger

========Original Message========     Subj: [lit-ideas] Re: Faith  Date:
5/16/05 8:01:37 A.M. Central Daylight Time  From: _cabrian@xxxxxxxxxx
(mailto:cabrian@xxxxxxxxx)   To: _lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
(mailto:lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)
  Sent on:

On May 16, 2005, at 12:10 AM, Eric Yost  wrote:

> Faith in Christ is not credulity.  Peter Kreeft wrote  extensively on
> this topic in THE HANDBOOK OF CHRISTIAN APOLOGETICS and  it was taken
> for granted that reason and faith were allies until a few  hundred
> years ago.
>
> -----
>
> These  developments led some thinkers, like Kierkegaard, to maintain
>  that
> faith was essentially an irrational existential act, incompatible  with
> reason...hence K's famous "leap of faith" phrase.

Yes,  Kierkegaard is still a major player in this grand story.  His
leap was robustly critiqued by Francis Schaeffer but many Christians,
some who have never heard of him, cannot be disabused of the  idea.

> However the word translated as "faith" does more  resemble "trust in"
> than "fall for." Yet I think the "reason and faith  are allies" view
> hasn't made much headway, unless you count CS Lewis as  headway.

As I do.  The greatest Christian apologist of the 20th  century, Lewis
combined reason with intuition, logic with  imagination.  I'm
currently reading LEWIS AGONISTES by Louis  Markos and he writes of
Lewis recapturing the medieval sense of wonder  and combining it with
a rigorous critique of modernism and  postmodernism.  Earlier in the
year historian Mark Noll - writer  of SCANDAL OF THE EVANGELICAL MIND
- wrote a ten year anniversary  piece on the book where he is
cautiously optimistic concerning the  state of Christian scholarship
and the Christian life of the mind as a  whole.  I remain optimistic
as  well.

Brian