[lit-ideas] Re: Faith

  • From: "Erin Holder" <erin.holder@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 09:16:32 -0400

> These developments led some thinkers, like Kierkegaard, to maintain
> that
> faith was essentially an irrational existential act, incompatible with
> reason...hence K's famous "leap of faith" phrase.

Yes, Kierkegaard is still a major player in this grand story.  His
leap was robustly critiqued by Francis Schaeffer but many Christians,
some who have never heard of him, cannot be disabused of the idea.

----

I think that Jacobi actually claimed that faith was an irrational existential
act incompatible with reason long before Kierkegaard did (see 'The Doctrine of
Spinoza' [1785] from 'The Main Philosophical Writings and the Novel').  Perhaps
kierkegaard just expressed it better.

Erin