[lit-ideas] Re: Faith

  • From: "Andy Amago" <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 15:33:46 -0400

A.A. I don't particularly want to get involved in this discussion, but this
strikes me as very imprecise.  The definition of reason is knowing why
something happens.  From Merriam Webster online for reason: 1 a : a
statement offered in explanation or justification <gave reasons that were
quite satisfactory> b : a rational ground or motive <a good reason to act
soon> c : a sufficient ground of explanation or of logical defense;
especially : something (as a principle or law) that supports a conclusion
or explains a fact <the reasons behind her client's action> d : the thing
that makes some fact intelligible : CAUSE <the reason for earthquakes> <the
real reason why he wanted me to stay -- Graham Greene>
2 a (1) : the power of comprehending, inferring, or thinking especially in
orderly rational ways : INTELLIGENCE (2) : proper exercise of the mind (3)
: SANITY b : the sum of the intellectual powers

A.A.  Not knowing why you love something is equal to having no reason for
your love.  Unless we're writing our own dictionary.

> would, however, go a little further and say that your love for chocolate
is
> NOT faith-based. You are not devoted to Chocolate. You don't think about
it
> that often. You don't rule your life according to Chocolatism. There are
no
> chocolate tenets. Predilections of taste [even in lovers] are not very
> appropriate to explaining faith.

A.A.Faith might offer a reason, but it's circular:  God says, do X.  The
reason for doing X is because God said so.  So, we like chocolate because
it tastes good, but we believe in God because he tells us to.  Put another
way, if we dare defy G-d, our noses will fall off.  Regarding K's young man
preferring God over his girlfriend, sounds to me that his was the perfect
excuse.  The real reason was he didn't want to marry his girlfriend.

Andy Amago

> To be 'faithful' to your husband or wife is not an ironclad, prescribed
> assignment. Like I've said in the past, whatever you and they agree is
your
> mutual rule base is your spousal faith. This should have very little to
do
> with belief or religious faith, and more to do with both of your
> "preferences" each which have their origins in some kind of 'reason' that
> you formed some time in your life. And... if it DOES have to do with your
> faith, (which in millions of cases it does) then THAT's the reason that
you
> are with the person. It's probably not the reason you love them. In fact,
> you probably DON'T love them. It's profoundly ironic that something is so
> apparently baseless in reasons, gives a reason for each and everything
that
> you should, must, should not, must not do.
>

> >In _Stages_, Kierkegaard tells the story of a young man who is engaged.
He