[lit-ideas] Re: Eric's hypocritcal wars

  • From: Eric <eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 02 Apr 2006 15:59:11 -0400

Omar: On the other hand, someone who frequently if not routinely posts discussions that offend other religions and cultures, and advocate various forms of violence and even torture, might be prepared to at least take a bit of personal teasing.

Put this way, it doesn't sound too bad. Omar can post editorials so crammed with anti-US bile that one has trouble following the arguments contained therein. I can post pieces that remind people of the Islamic world's ongoing practices such as slavery, violence against women, intolerance, religious endorsement of murder, etc.

The most extreme opinion I offered was that I had no problem with the CIA waterboarding Khalid Sheik Mohammed, one of the masterminds of 9/11, if indeed it had done so. Sorry I still haven't changed my mind on that. People involved in horrific attacks like that--and the category also includes white males like those involved in the Oklahoma City Bombing--would seem to forfeit the courtesy we afford to serial killers.

But if you want to advocate for KSM, go right ahead. Maybe I'm wrong.