[lit-ideas] Re: Eric's hypocritcal wars

  • From: "Andreas Ramos" <andreas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 1 Apr 2006 20:09:36 -0800

From: "Phil Enns" <phil.enns@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Nonsense.  The issue is not tolerance but civility.  If we cannot be
civil with those who share virtually all our values, then that is the
tragedy.  It speaks to a thinness of culture and that is a dangerous
thing.  I suppose if all that one can do is shout and hurl abuse, such a
conversation is pointless.

Is abusive to ask Eric to live up to his own words?

If he acts on his own words, then we can respect him. Whether or not we agree with him, at least he has the courage of his own convictions.

But to argue that he can say whatever he wants yet not act upon it, and we should honor that? That would indeed be abuse: we would then accept that he's a hypocrit, a sort of half-man, who can talk yet we don't respect what he says.

Compare Lawrence and Eric: Lawrence talks war and he also put his money on the table: he served in the Marines. No one here doubts his convictions. But only for his age, Lawrence would parachute into Baghdad. Hell, he'd jump without a parachute.

As John says, it's not about Eric's values. Right wing, left wing, buffalo wings, I don't care. But if he wants us to accept his words, then he should stand behind them.

yrs,
andreas
www.andreas.com