[lit-ideas] Re: 21. century European anti-Semitism

  • From: "Judith Evans" <judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2004 20:04:28 +0100

We seem to have stopped discussing the other (The Other). A pity.  Eric had
a point. I think I'm somewhere in-between him and John (McC.), though I
still do admire John's post, a salutary reminder.

***

Today I saw a black man in the Health Food store, basket full -- as I
commented -- of goodies.  He gave me a classic Brit warm smile. We met again
at the till; this time his white girlfriend was with him. He asked the
manager to serve me first (I only had one item) but I needed something else.
His girlfriend spoke to me too. Not English, her accent made clear. Austrian
perhaps? No, she said, she was from Kuwait, they both were.  I apologised
for asking, but she didn't mind at all. Then she and I had a sceptical look
at something the manager recommended to her, and I told her the other thing
he'd recommended was good but could react with certain medicines.

The Other/s, cunningly disguised as a mouse-brown hair, very light tan (I
suppose, very light olive skin), young woman in jeans and a windbreaker and
light backpack, no Muslim-dress-stuff in sight, + a British black man in a
nifty woolly hat?

They seemed more like me to me... middle class...

Judy Evans
jaye@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx