[lit-ideas] Re: 21. century European anti-Semitism

  • From: Omar Kusturica <omarkusto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 06:40:40 -0700 (PDT)

I was using the term 'community,' as it was used
previously in this thread, in the sense of a group
that defines itself in terms of mutual loyalty as well
as difference / separation from the outsiders.
Residents of an elite suburb might so define
themselves privately to some extent, but we haven't
heard of an initiative to proclaim Lewittown
independence. Rather, Lewittown is presented as a
materialization of the American Dream itself:

http://tigger.uic.edu/~pbhales/Levittown.html

Wondering why Lewittown does not face the need for
collective self-defense is a bit like wondering why
the US Senate does not.

O.K.

http://photos.yahoo.com/ph/print_splash