[lit-ideas] Re: 21. century European anti-Semitism

  • From: "Judith Evans" <judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2004 19:05:24 +0100

The basic point made here about anti-Semitism (that it is not rising in the
manner some suggest) certainly accords with my experience of the UK and the
data I have seen. (I add that I have not, though, seen the Jewish Chronicle
survey mentioned on Theoria by David Myers.)

I do want to add three things both re the UK, the first also about this
article; and a third of a rather different kind.

1) >>>Rather, the largest group of perpetrators was made up of young, white
Europeans incited by traditional right-wing extremist groups.<<<

should be seen in the light of what I and the author of this piece believe
is anyway not a rise in anti-semitic speech and acts (in the UK; I think the
author speaks of Europe more generally.

2) The "traditional right-wing extremist groups" here - aka fascists -- have
learned that they must not campaign on an anti-semitic platform and indeed
must pretend not to be anti-semitic. They need to present some kind of
vaguely respectable face so rant on about immigrants (aka, often, Muslims,
but not necessarily so.

3)a) a Muslim's body was desecrated here (bacon draped over it) in a
hospital morgue. The hospital has not apologised (they don't, unless the
incident is very minor or they can be sure the people affected will shut up
or lack money); the family want to bring suit (they could probably get pro
bono laywers.
b) a Muslim graveyard was desecrated here -- as, you will know, a Jewish one
was.

4) But we should not be complacent. Certainly fascism/anti-semitism lurks in
the UK.

Judy Evans
jaye@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx