[lit-ideas] Re: 21. century European anti-Semitism

  • From: "Michael Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2004 00:54:17 -0500

O. K. Jones wrote:
> However, the fact is that this policy was adopted at
> the time when violent rebellion would have had no
> chance of succeeding, and that it was changed later
> when political (and thus also military) power was
> acquired.

But the Quakers have managed to maintain a belief and practice in
uncompromising pacifisms.  I think that's true, although I've heard it said
somewhere that the Quakers in Pennsylvania would hire non-Quakers to protect
them from Indians (kill them, that is) much as Renaissance Catholic rulers
hired Jews to do their banking.  Is this true?  Can anyone out there save me
from having to research this out myself -- you know I'll never do it, so
come on, spill the beans on the Quakers.  In high school I would object to
the legitimacy of the authority of the Church on the grounds that the Church
had never ever measured up to its beliefs.  "Truth is not dependent on the
behavior of its adherents," our priest-teachers would retort.  Then what the
hell good is Truth I would scream (internally -- I didn't want to get
walloped upside the head for heresy).  If religion can't deliver, let it
wither.  But damn its roots run deep.

X. S. Probity
Proctor
Middleton Middle School