[LRflex] Re: Something somewhat different

  • From: Charlie Falke <chfalke@xxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 05 Dec 2009 14:25:55 -0500

David Simms wrote:
Charlie;
I wasn't aware that silver was particularly toxic, could you enlighten me ?
I think that I've seen reference to silver recovery technology at places like the Photographers' Formulary which can be accessed online.

Dave
David,
    It's in the same category as lead, mercury and cadmium,
but so are copper and zinc.  Almost everything is toxic at
some exposure time and dose.   In the environmental movement
in the 70s it was thought of as similar to mercury if not worse.
There is almost no data to support or refute this, possibly
because it's a less abundant industrial pollutant because it's
expensive.   On the other hand huge numbers of Aerospace processes
are being revised to eliminate Cadmium, which is being replaced
largely by
   At very low concentrations silver is safe and is used as a
biocide.  This has been known for hundreds of years.  There is
about 1ppm in Astronauts' drinking water.
   Some quacks on the Internet have been pushing it as a cure all
at much higher doses, and there's plenty of data that this has
nasty side effects, including turning blue.  For myself
I like to avoid becoming data if I can.  I should maybe just do
silver recovery and not worry about it, but that doesn't get it all,
and the groundwater here as it is is quite clean.
   It's been rural forever and we're a thousand feet above sea level,
and I'd hate to knowingly ruin that and poison myself in the process.
   Referring to your wash technique, do you circulate each
batch of fresh water through a washer, or let it stand between
changes of water?
--
Charlie Falke                                         _____      /\
"One test result is worth                        |    |/        `o
  one thousand expert opinions" - Wernher Von Braun   0  N4003M
"Imagination is more important than knowledge" - Albert Einstein