[LRflex] Re: Something somewhat different

  • From: "wildlightphoto@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <wildlightphoto@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 3 Dec 2009 13:49:05 -0500

Charlie Falke wrote:

> I really miss Kodachrome 25, for the permanence
> in addition to the look.

K25 might be better in retrospect than in day-to-day reality.  I compared
photos from my last roll of K25 (in a Leicaflex SL) with photos from the
DMR at ISO 400 using the same subject, light and lens (280mm f/4 APO) and
as it turned out, except for the no-fuss archiving, I was glad I had no
more K25.  The DMR's image quality buried the K25 in my mind: image detail,
color quality, dynamic range, noise vs. grain... all in favor of the DMR by
a wide margin.

Regarding archiving, the K25 slides are simple: put the slide in a box.
OTOH Kodachrome isn't as archival for viewing as late E6 films, and the DMR
images with different (active) technique are far more archival because I
can make multiple copies of the original and all derivative files, with no
degradation when I look at the pictures, and send the identical copies for
safekeeping to family members in diverse locations.

Emotionally the Leicaflex SL is my favorite camera but functionally the R8
with DMR is my #1.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com