[LRflex] Re: Something somewhat different

  • From: "wildlightphoto@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <wildlightphoto@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 3 Dec 2009 14:15:34 -0500

Charlie Falke wrote:

>   Can you post the images you are describing

I can post one of the DMR photos:

http://wildlightphoto.com/birds/falconidae/amke01.html

I haven't scanned the comparable K25 photo, and I might not have it any
more.  A few specific things I can point out are the highlight and shadow
detail.  With K25 I could not get both detail in the white plumage on the
bird's face and separation between the bird's iris and pupil in the same
exposure, and where I had detailed whites the shaded side of the bird was
very dark.

>  is there a sensor that is as good as the one in the DMR that one can buy?

The DMR sensor is unique among digital cameras smaller than medium format
in that its ADC is 16-bit, it has no AA filter and it's a CCD.  As far as I
know all other small-format sensors use a 12- or 14-bit ADC, most have an
AA filter and use CMOS technology.

Some of the latest sensors are quite good, and most out-perform the DMR at
high ISO, often by a wide margin... OTOH those I know of who are now using
the Sony A900 or Nikon D3x and have compared the DMR and current camera
side-by-side prefer most aspects of the DMR's image quality.  The primary
areas where the newer cameras perform better are sampling rate and high-ISO
noise.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com