[PCB_FORUM] Re: Removing unused pad rings on inner layers DURING design...

  • From: "Austin Franklin" <austin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <icu-pcb-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 13:51:59 -0500

Hi Chris,

> Not that it helps, but it's a breeze in VeriBest.

Yeah, ha ha...thanks ;-)

> I don't know how you'd do it in Allegro, but I'm still in the steep-ish
> part of the learning curve with Cadence tools. Since the pads ARE
> the pins,
> I see no way other than by doing as you said - building custom padstacks
> with all the possible inner layer combinations, then manually editing each
> through hole. And having never tried that, I don't even have a guess what
> the planes and drc's would do. I'd be afraid of inner layer shorts I
> couldn't see. Maybe if you made pads the size of the drill (not the
> finished hole) instead of no pads, then suppressed them in gerber, you'd
> get the right effect with your planes and drc's.

The planes are no problem as I have a via stack-up just for connecting to
the planes that has only the plane layers (and top and bottom layers) with
pad rings.  There is a drill to trace clearance you can set, but since there
appears to be no drill to anything clearance able to be set...you can do
that by making a pad the size of the drill, plus something like 3mils for
drill wobble, and that should give the correct DRC.

I'm amazed that this high tier tool just can't do this.  Also, that there is
no way to specify max line width, nor, as you just pointed out, a way to
specify drill to anything clearance.  The later two are just basic things
that even the etch-a-sketch tools do.

Regards,

Austin