[PCB_FORUM] Re: Removing unused pad rings on inner layers DURING design...

  • From: Matt Dunn <mdunn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: icu-pcb-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 01 Apr 2005 10:30:52 -0500

Austin

The via pad your discribing, 10 mil finished hole with a 24 mil pad is sized to
allow for tangency of the
hole to the pad edge. All the pad allows for is a 10 mil manufacturing
tolerance. The hole will be drilled with a 13 or 14 mil drill in order to plate
and finish at 10. The hole can endup anywhere within that pad including at the
edge.

Under those conditions you do not gain any usable space by removing the
unconnected pads.
By removing unconnected pads, you get to use the designed in space that was for
annular ring. In this case that is zero.

Austin Franklin wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Is there a way to not have inner layer pad rings show up unless a trace is
> connected to it on that specific layer?  I know that the pad rings can be
> removed by the fabricator, but I want to remove them during design to allow
> for more clearance for routing between vias.  How I've handled this in
> another tool is to set-up custom padstacks that have pad rings only on the
> two outer layers, and the one internal layer.  It worked fine, but obviously
> required more work when picking vias.
>
> Regards,
>
> Austin

> To view the archives of this list please login at
> //www.freelists.org. Our list name is icu-pcb-forum
> or go to //www.freelists.org/archives/icu-pcb-forum/
>
> Problems or Questions:
>         Send an email to icu-pcb-forum-admins@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>
> Want to post a job listing ?  DON'T DO IT HERE!
> Better yet, join our jobs listing forum.
>
> SUBSCRIBE:  icu-jobs-forum-subscribe@xxxxxxxxxx
> POST:       icu-jobs-forum@xxxxxxxxxx

Matt Dunn
Director of Design Operations