[PCB_FORUM] Re: Metric to English - English to Metric

  • From: "richard moffat" <richard.moffat@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <icu-pcb-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2005 10:56:09 +1200

Hi Austin

Our libraries are a mish-mash of English and metric, depending what the
datasheet had.  Once they get sucked into Allegro, I usually route in English.
(It's what I'm used to, why change, etc...)

Routing from parts makes no difference, unless it's a fine-pitch bga or
similar.  In that case, I just turn the route grid to a fine unit (1 mil), and
the 'bubble" option makes it easy.  We route in whatever people are comfortable
with and what people (like the engineers, customers) want to see.  It's never
been a problem.

Cheers,
Richard

>>> austin@xxxxxxxxxxxx 25/08/2005 10:32:56 a.m. >>>

Hi George,

> WHY switch back and forth?

Some parts are metric, and others are imperial.  It is easier to route
metric BGAs on a metric grid, and then switch to an imperial grid when I get
out of the BGA and are routing to imperial parts.

> Why not just KEEP IT SIMPLE (K.I.S.S.) :)

Hum.  Well, to me, switching back and forth DOES keep it simple...that is if
switching back and forth was simple ;-)

Regards,

Austin

notify Allied Telesyn Research Ltd immediately.
be the views of Allied Telesyn Research.