[PCB_FORUM] Re: Metric to English - English to Metric

  • From: chris.ball@xxxxxxxxx
  • To: icu-pcb-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 12:50:46 -0400

I recently began doing some of my designs in metric. I've been DIMENSIONING
prints in metric for a long time, but that's different.

I don't even think they tried to teach us metric when I was in grade
school. Maybe they showed us a meter stick beside a yardstick once.....

Anyhow, I too will always think first in inches, but can function OK in a
metric env as long as I stay focused in on the little stuff; 0.15 trace,
0.3 hole... that's kinda thing. Still glitch badly from time to time, but
it's do-able.

-Chris (el-CID)

                       "Schwartz, Jerome"

                       <jschwa01@xxxxxxxxxx>             To:
<icu-pcb-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
                       Sent by:                          cc:

                       icu-pcb-forum-bounce@freel        Subject:
[PCB_FORUM] Re: Metric to
                       ists.org                            English - English to
Metric

                       08/30/2005 12:31 PM

                       Please respond to

                       icu-pcb-forum

    I have considered designing in metric only for a while. It would make
routing cleaner in BGA's etc. I have two reasons for not using metric.
These
might only be unique to me.

1. My designs can only be fabricated in the US. All of our vendors will
convert
   the metric Gerber data to English. Thereby, creating the round off, and
offset, problem
   I wanted to avoid in the first place.

2. Grade school, in the 1960's, tried to teach us metric. It still hasn't
taken. "You can't
    teach an old dog new tricks." Therefore, I would always be converting
in my head.

IMHO (In My Humble Opinion) Although I am am seldom humble ;)

 Regards,
      Jerry Schwartz, CID+
      IPC Advanced Certified Designer
     "May The Schwartz Be With You."

Designer 3
Harris Corporation GCSD              Voice (321)-727-5474
P.O. Box 37, MS 1-11F                Pager (321)-690-9797
Melbourne, FL 32902-0037
mailto:Jerome.Schwartz@xxxxxxxxxx
http://www.harris.com
NOTE: IF SOMETHING I SAY CAN BE TAKEN TWO WAYS AND ONE OF THEM OFFENDS YOU.
I MEANT THE OTHER ONE.