[haiku] Re: Wallpaper design contest

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2011 21:36:35 +0200

Patrik Gissberg <patrik@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Axel Dörfler:
> > Well, while that works for most wallpapers, there are some where
> > that
> > won't look as good as a specifically made version.
> It's all about tradeoffs. Offering two or more wallpapers for
> different aspect ratios may look better, but doubles the size and
> decreases user-friendliness. Offering one wallpaper won't look perfect
> (but good), but decreases size and increases user-friendliness.
> User-friendliness is what I value the most.

User friendliness isn't really affected if there is just one wallpaper
that Haiku boots with.

However, there is little value in providing bad looking wallpapers. I
would only include the winning entry (if we can all agree on that, as
that's a decision that needs to be made by the project) with Haiku, and
made the other nice ones part of a wallpaper package that you can
install if you want.

> I strongly believe that this is the best solution, and somewhat
> unique; Select a wallpaper and it will look good (maybe not perfect)
> regardless of your resolution or monitor aspect ratio.

But IMO that's exactly where things fall apart; with a rule like this
you limit the options for good looking wallpapers considerably.

Bye,
   Axel.