[haiku] Re: Wallpaper design contest

  • From: Patrik Gissberg <patrik@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 9 Jul 2011 11:44:14 +0000

> That's the only one thing I don't understand: first of all, where are the
> vector graphics gone to?
Stephan wanted the distinction between bitmap and vector to be removed
(and you agreed on his entire post), so I removed it. I want to have
two different categories. I think that will make the contest more
interesting. I'd be happy to change it back.

> WonderBrush has a vector format that Haiku can read
> (and AFAICT most of SVG can be converted to this by WonderBrush).
That probably works. And if not, the vector wallpapers can be
converted to bitmaps until Haiku gets svg (or similar) support. So I
don't think we should exclude vector graphics because of the technical
aspect.

> And then, why this single ridiculously high resolution? Why not just something
> like "at least 1920x1080", if possible in different aspect ratios?
The idea is to simplify it by only requesting one, common resolution.
The selected format is in between 4:3 (the narrowest usualy in use)
and 16:9 (the widest) and is large enough for all modern monitors. By
having an original in this format gives us the possibility to
downscale and use the same wallpaper both on 4:3 and 16:9 monitors,
regardless of its resolution. See the illustrations in one of my
earlier posts.

> Well, besides that 24:00 does not really exist beyond some crazy clocks out
> there :-)
How do you write midnight? Without using AM/PM, which is not used everywhere.

Patrik