[haiku] Re: Wallpaper design contest

  • From: Patrik Gissberg <patrik@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2011 18:49:57 +0200

Justin Stressman:
> I totally agree about the vector graphics, but if I remember correctly
> they fell by the wayside because Haiku doesn't natively support them.
> So asking for a background in that format is getting the cart before
> the horse so to speak.
I don't agree. Until Haiku gets native svg (or another vector format)
support, we can rasterize the wallpaper. When we have vector support,
we'll just switch to the original vector. Easy.

> As for the resolution on the raster entries; I think it's because not
> everyone runs low resolutions or low end laptop displays. So having an
> entry made at a nice high end "proof" type resolution, which shouldn't
> be remotely unfamiliar, or unfeasible for any remotely serious graphic
> designer, I don't think is remotely unreasonable.
>
> Were I to enter into any kind of graphic design contest today, I
> wouldn't even blink at such a requirement.
I agree. It is better to ask for a wallpaper that is "to large" than
"to small"; a large image can be scaled down without losing image
quality, a small image can not be scaled up without losing image
quality.

Ingo Weinhold:
> How about letting people submit a resolution suitable for web consumption plus
> an info at which maximum resolution the image is available, if the original
> content is pixel based?
It's easier to only submit one original, and let us create whatever
versions we need from it.

> Vector content would be marked respectively, so would
> content from which a pixel format can be generated at any resolution (but
> which
> isn't vector content).
The only important aspects for the vector images is that they must
have the same aspect ratio as the bitmaps.

> For pixel content a minimum available resolution to enter the contest should
> probably be defined.
Again, requesting one original in a fixed size is easier than asking
for a minimum resolution. Otherwise, we risk that they will submit a
wallpaper with wrong aspect ratio that cannot be used, and therefor
must be disqualified.

Sean Collins:
> want to make the contest more interesting, Mandate that only Wonderbrush can
> be used for All entrys.
>
> Promotes wonderbrush in a nice way.
Because very few people know how to use WonderBrush, I think we should
get very few contributions to the competition.

Patrik