[haiku] Re: Wallpaper design contest

  • From: "Humdinger" <humdingerb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2011 20:54:49 +0200

Justin Stressman <jstressman@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> 1920x1080 would be both side-cropped AND upscaled for me in the case
> of bitmaps.
>
> I don't suppose there's a chance we could make it 1920x1200 instead?
> (16:10 ratio)
>
> As long as we're likely going to be downscaling and cropping for most
> resolutions, I'd rather it be both those (or just cropping) rather
> than a mix of UPscaling and cropping.

Besides that you can only either auto-scale or have a manual or
centered placing.
I wonder, too, if we'll have just one big bitmap cropped, what image
would look also great when only seeing the top left 800x600 pixels.
Another alternative is a centered image.

Here's an idea:
There's the CLI app "screenmode" which returns the current resolution.
How about parsing its output in the bootscript and creating a link to
the default background with the right aspect ratio and resolution?
We can have the artist of the winning background provide all sorts of
sizes.

> Contest categories
> - Best bitmap.
> - Best vector.

I'm not sure we'd need to distinguish between vector and bitmap.

> Submitting wallpapers
> Send one email per wallpaper to address@xxxxxxxxxxx, and include;
> - The wallpaper attached (do not archive it).
> - Work sample(s) attached.

Is this "work sample" thing a common requirement for these kind of
competitions? I could imagine that most people wouldn't dare to
plagarize this openly when they must know that it'll come to light
eventually. A handful German politicians had to learn this lesson the
hard way recently... :)
I'd feel better to just trust the participants and count on their
reluctance to be ridiculed later.

Regards,
Humdinger

      Deutsche Haiku News  -  Haiku Gazette