[haiku] Re: Problem with cprivmsg.txt

  • From: "Jonas Sundström" <jonas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2010 16:30:48 +0100

Miroslav Stimac "Miroslav Stimac" <Miroslav.Stimac@xxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am trying to install the Haiku nightly build r39648 Gcc2
> Hybrid on a partition of my hard disk where there is already
> a Haiku operating system (it is a nighltly build from some
> months ago, also GCC2 Hybrid).

Hi Miroslav,

Since the error message given by Installer doesn't really say
what happened we can only guess. My guess would be filesystem
corruption on either source (CD) or target (HD partition).

Source case: get another nightly image. In case of a hardware
issue with your CD burner device, try using a USB stick instead.

Target case: the brute-force attempt would be to simply re-
initialize (format) the target partition. If you want to keep
its contents, boot the CD to desktop mode, open a Terminal and
run 'checkfs' on the target volume before trying to install.

If the target disk is old you might want to use some harddisk
analysis tool to see if there are any bad sectors appearing.
This is likely a lossy procedure, so be sure to take backups.

/Jonas.