[haiku] Re: Problem with cprivmsg.txt

On 2010-11-30 at 21:23:38 [+0100], Miroslav Stimac <Miroslav.Stimac@xxxxxx>
wrote:
> > That suggests, as François offered, that the second program does
> > something
> > "intelligent". To verify the suspicion you can md5sum two CDs of the same
> > Haiku version burnt with either program and compare with the md5sum of the
> > original image.
>
> Now I am totally confused.
> I created MD5sums for each file on both CD-Rs (one burnt with Neto and
> works, one burnt with CDBurnerXP and does not work) and compared them all
> with PSPad. There are no differences.
> All MD5sums are exactly matching on both CD-Rs.
>
> Perhaps it is really a compatibility problem with the DVD drive of my
> notebook and it does not like CDs that are burnt with CDBurnerXP.
> However, both CD-Rs were recorded by using my main PC (tower) and it has an
> other DVD drive than the notebook. I created the MD5sums by using my main
> PC, too.

It would help to verify the checksums on the target machine. Ideally under
both Haiku and some other OS (Linux).

> Is it possible that CDBurnerXP does not burn the CD-Rs in the same way as
> Nero, although I use the same hardware?

I don't know much about how CDs work. AFAIK a CD isn't accessible as a single
linearly addressable data storage, but it has a TOC that describes individual
tracks. Maybe the two programs write different TOC data and Haiku doesn't
interpret them correctly in one case.

At any rate, if you can verify that another OS on the concerned laptop can
read the CD correctly (i.e. the md5sum is correct), then please open a ticket.

CU, Ingo