[openbeos] Re: Preferences/File Help

  • From: "Marcus Overhagen" <dos4gw@xxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2002 16:42:33 +0100

John Tegen <john.tegen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>$0.02:
>I totally don't see a need for a preference server.  Storing a retrieving an
>applications preferences takes a "nano-second", and only occurs twice during
>an applications life cycle (typically).  It does not warrant a server to be
>available all the time, taking up resources.  Most likely it can be apart of
>an existing kit, so dynamical loading is a non-issue.

I also would suggest to not use a server for things like this.
A server is basically only used it some resource, used by
many teams(processes) needs to be shared in one way or another.
The media_server does basically manage MediaNodes in different team,
so they can connect to each other (accross team/process boundaries).
It also manages memory buffers, providing shared memory.

Preferences don't need this, and some static functions in a library will
be fine for it. The Translation Kit is an example for this. It doen't use
a server!

regards
Marcus