[openbeos] Re: Preferences/File Help

  • From: "Donovan Schulteis" <deej@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2002 18:23:46 -0500

> > format. Maybe we should simply go with flattened
> > BMessages, ASCII, or XML with my vote going for
> > BMessages. Thoughts, anyone?
>
> Im actually torn on this one...
> I'd prefer BMessages, however if we choose XML we
> would indirectly (unless we roll our own) be forced
> to use Xerces, which would mean it would be
> distributed with all editions of OBOS - which is a
> good thing (devs and users)... right?

Hehe, you do do both.  One thing Qubit (J.B.) was doing was saving user
preferences as XML format, but we (he) coded a daemon that spoke
BMessages with applications, and then wrote those preferences into an
XML file.  I ended up coding the actual user interface (for user
definable preferences such as "home page", "email address", etc), that
spoke to the daemon via BMessages, which, in turn did the writing to
the XML formatted text file.  Might sound a bit convoluted, but we had
our reasons.

OBOS could do something similar, that way, all preferences are
tweakable via a text file, but all applications actually write to /
read from that file via a single daemon interface by BMessages.

This also allows you to define a "standard" preferences file format
that all applications _should_ follow, whether they go through the
daemon or are hardcoded to read/write from a specific text file on
their own.

Just a thought, with given pro's and con's to it.

> And especially since I have some devious plans
> regarding the Translation Kit (text translators
> using xml/xslt with Xerces and Xalan - not
> discussed with team!)

Hmmm... I'd like to hear those plans, so if you set up an off-list
discussion, please include me.  :)

Deej