[openbeos] Re: Preferences/File Help

  • From: "Andrew Edward McCall" <mccall@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2002 19:07:10 -0800

>> > A server??? Better is a library, no?
>> Seriously, what is the obsession with servers? IPC can be really
>> slow.
>> If you can do it locally, why not? Servers also eat up unnecessary
>> RAM
>> and processing power. There's a reason there are no device or
>> translation servers, you know.
>
>Hey Nathan, exactly my opinion :-)
>Servers can have advantages, but I really can't see any advantage in a
>pref server over a library which has that functionality.
>
>Kit != server. Personally, I would only go the server way, if the
>library way would have some disadvantages.
>
>Adios...
>   Axel.

While this is all great for the future -

What are we going to do about writing compatiable preference save files
for R5?

It will mean that the OpenBeOS preference panels won't be swap-able with
the BeOS R5 ones - something that I would have liked to have happen.

Thanks

Andrew Edward McCall
mccall@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
--