[openbeos] Re: Preferences/File Help

  • From: DarkWyrm <bpmagic@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2002 17:58:51 -0500

>Though ~/config/settings/Keyboard_settings certainly isn't a flattened
>BMessage
>more a C struct or something, sadly :
>
>[revol@patrick /boot/home/devel]$ ./dumpbm ~/config/settings/
>Keyboard_settings
>BMessage: what =  (0x0, or 0)
>
>François.
Sadly, this is not the only file which is like that. The settings for other
preference apps (Scrollbar comes to mind) which definitely aren't flattened
BMessages, but certainly aren't just variables dumped to a file in binary
mode, either.

The preference apps were written (apparently) without any specification for a
unified format.Although it'd be nice to be able read the settings files, I'm
not so sure that it's a requirement if we can't seem to reverse the format.
My guess is that they might be libprefs or some other preferences library
format. Maybe we should simply go with flattened BMessages, ASCII, or XML
with my vote going for BMessages. Thoughts, anyone?

--DarkWyrm