[openbeos] Re: Preferences/File Help

  • From: "Michael Phipps" <mphipps1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2002 21:41:26 -0500

>> >I have even thought about a server, where you send
>> >it a BMessage, and it sends back a BMessage that contains a string
>> > which is
>> >an XML representation of the BMessage. :-)
>>
>> A server??? Better is a library, no?
>
>Seriously, what is the obsession with servers? IPC can be really slow.
>If you can do it locally, why not? Servers also eat up unnecessary RAM
>and processing power. There's a reason there are no device or
>translation servers, you know.
>-Nathan

Obsession? No.
Let's do a little comparisson. I want to start off by saying that I don't
necessarily favor one over the other.
Also some assumptions - we are using intelligent shared libraries

Server advantages:
Multi-threading is easy (send an asynch BMessage)
Code is seperate from yours
Accessible easily from scripting languages
Any initialization time can be shared easily (the example I did for the
newsletter with the dictionary is a good example)
Easily extensible without recompiling any clients
No FBC issues

Library advantages
No IPC time
No time to stuff/unstuff a BMessage
Ability to subclass

Kit advantages (Server + Client stub)
Really all of both. You can have libraries do the quick and easy stuff, and
servers do the heavy lifting.