[openbeos] Re: BeIDE Projects?!

  • From: "Marcus Overhagen" <dos4gw@xxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2002 16:37:53 +0100

"Nathan Whitehorn" <nathan.whitehorn@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>I just downloaded the OBOS CVS. It has next to nothing in it (shame on
>you!). What it has, and is not the kernel, consists in large part of
>BeIDE projects (shame on you again!). Please use makefiles. They run on
Well, makefiles aren't that good, I read "Recursive make considered harmful"
about a year ago, and Ithamar suggested jam as an alternative.
I also do not really see a benefit of using XML.

>ppc and x86 and are a standard. Also, you can do batch makes of the
>project to compile the whole tree.
make as a standard doesn't mean that it's the only solution.
I conside make to be slow, I have a personal project using recursive
makefiles, that takes quite a while to compile, even if you only changed
one file. And dependencies aren't easy with make, too

>I would suggest an absolute moratorium on BeIDE projects in CVS.
Although I did put BeIDE projects into the tree, I also would like
to suggest to replace all of them by jam files, once we have
a working setup for an automated build!

regards
Marcus