[haiku-development] Re: Working on Haiku's Mail app

  • From: "Humdinger" <humdingerb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 01 Dec 2009 14:57:00 +0100

-- Alexander G. M. Smith, on Mon, 30 Nov 2009 19:12:16 -0500 EST:
> Humdinger wrote on Sun, 29 Nov 2009 07:36:23 +0100:
> > Plus, I have an IMHO neat little idea concerning queries that
> > doesn't
> > strike me as difficult to implement, but would change the view
> > layout
> > of the New-Mail window a bit. (Can the window layout when reading
> > mails
> > be different than when writing a mail?)
>
> It could be, but why should it?  Other than headers, the user has to
> put in the same information that the mail recipient reads (subject,
> To, etc).  There are already slight variations, but they're mostly
> just the addition or removal of a field at the top of the window.

It's a visual thing. :)

> You have noticed the pre-made queries in the mail menu on the
> deskbar?

Yes. I do have my own templates there as well. But it's not exactly
what I have in mind.

> Or write a new mail viewing/editing program using the existing
> MIME libraries to parse the messages.

Naively, I also think a mail app isn't that complicated as all the
handling of messages is done by Tracker/Queries. So, it's de/encoding,
status attribute setting and settings-management. But I'm not a coder
and tend to underestimate things... :)

Anyway, I have my proposal ready at
http://docs.google.com/View?id=ddx3qxp9_13ftxvhjgj

I'm not sure if a discussion shouldn't be moved to the CDT mailing
list. What do you guys think?

If any dev is interested and would like to work on the details, you
know where to find me, i.e. all the mailing lists and of course
privately. I would even consider a Haikuware bounty for it, so if
anyone is interested in that, also contact me.

Regards,
Humdinger

Deutsche Haiku News @ http://www.haiku-gazette.de