[haiku-development] Re: Working on Haiku's Mail app

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2009 17:18:18 +0100

"Humdinger" <humdingerb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I like Haiku's email system very much, and the idea of single files,
> queries and a quick and simple app like Mail. That said, there are a
> few small bug-fixes and improvements that would make it so much
> better.
> From past comments, I gather that the code of it all is kinda messy.
> Is
> that correct?

Absolutely.
It was already a mess when it got open sourced, and the years at MDR
didn't really improve upon that much.

> I was wondering, how feasible is it for somebody (not me, goodness!)
> not familiar with the code to change and improve stuff? For example
> some of the open tickets:

What do you mean by "feasible"?
I currently only fix bugs that annoy me, and since Mail works good
enough for me right now, I don't plan to put much time into it in the
forseeable future, personally.

> Plus, I have an IMHO neat little idea concerning queries that doesn't
> strike me as difficult to implement, but would change the view layout
> of the New-Mail window a bit. (Can the window layout when reading
> mails
> be different than when writing a mail?)

Sure.

Bye,